You are here
Home > 2016 > Hibernian 0-4 Glasgow City – SWPL 1 – Match Summary

Hibernian 0-4 Glasgow City – SWPL 1 – Match Summary

hibs 0-4 city

Glasgow City took an important step towards their historic tenth SWPL 1 title in a row, as they became the first team to defeat Hibernian at Albyn Park this season.

Hibernian would have gone into the game full of confidence of moving up into first place, especially after defeating their rivals in the SWPL Cup Final, but once again they are looking at closing a five-point gap – and now, the title is out of their hands. If they are to win the title, they know require City to drop points in their other games.

City got off to the best possible start after Hibs failed to clear City’s long throw and Lauren McMurchie firing them into 1 -0 lead after 62 seconds.

Both sides had chances soon after, with Abi Harrison shooting wide for Hibs and Fiona Brown having her shot saved by the home side’s keeper Jenna Fife.

Hibs came close once again from a Harrison cross, but Sarah Ewens couldn’t find the target.

And then they fell further behind when Fiona Brown’s cross eventually fell to Julie Fleeting who found the back of the net.

Photo: John Williamson Glasgow City celebrate Fiona Brown's late goal that made it 4-0
Photo: John Williamson
Glasgow City celebrate Fiona Brown’s late goal that made it 4-0

In the second half, Hibs could have pulled a goal back when City failed to clear a cross, but new signing Rachel Small fired over.

City themselves could have further extended their lead through Erin Cuthbert whose long range shot was well saved by Fife and then she chased down the rebound to set up Clare Shine, but the striker who is returning from injury shot over.

And then they did make it 3-0. Hayley Lauder, another player returning from an injury, cut inside on the right and delivered a delightful ball into the box where Fleeting was unmarked, and she headed in her second of the game.

Late on in the second half, City made it 4-0. Sarah Crilly’s through-ball found Brown, and the striker who had terrorised Hibs back in May, calmly lobbed the keeper.

Leave a Reply