You are here
Home > 2016 > Ashley Carse Inspires Hearts Into the Quarters – Hearts 3-0 Hamilton – Scottish Women’s up Third Round

Ashley Carse Inspires Hearts Into the Quarters – Hearts 3-0 Hamilton – Scottish Women’s up Third Round

For the second week in a row, Hearts defeated Hamilton at King’s Park – this time in the Scottish Women’s cup – but it is perhaps the manner of the defeat that will concern Hamilton more, than the result. Last week, there was little between the sides, and a draw would have been the fair result. This week, Hearts winning by a single goal would have been unrepresentative.

All the goals came in the second half, and a goalkeeping error from Elaine Fleming gave possession to Ashley Carse who took advantage by lobbing her. Carse’s second was one that Fleming could do nothing about, a wonder strike that found the top corner.

Hearts’ third came when a Gemma Mason corner wasn’t fully cleared, providing Kara Kidd with the simplest of tap-ins.

The win sees Hearts progress to the Quarter-Finals of the Scottish Women’s Cup.

Photo: John Williamson Hearts' Ashley Carse scored twice
Photo: John Williamson
Hearts’ Ashley Carse scored twice

First Half

Whilst Hamilton had started well, controlling possession, it was Hearts who had the first chance when Michaela Mcalonie made room for herself in the middle of the park to pick out the unmarked Ashley Carse who shot over.

It was perhaps the windy conditions that were making it tricky for the clubs, but the next chance for either side came int the 22nd minute when Sam McPherson tried her luck from 25 yards, but her effort curled wide of the right post.

Hearts were starting to use their full-backs to great effect with Lyndsey Anderson being played into the box, only to be denied by a great block from Amie McGill.

And the game’s first shot on target came just after the half-hour mark when Rachel Walkingshaw’s free-kick bobbled through to Fleming who made the save. Walkingshaw had another good opportunity soon after, but she failed to hit the target this time.

Just before half-time, patient build-up on the edge of the Accies box set up Stacey Hutchison but her shot was straight at the keeper.

Photo: John Williamson Lydnsey Anderson breaks forward
Photo: John Williamson
Lydnsey Anderson breaks forward

Second Half

It took a matter of seconds of the second half for Hearts to take the lead. Fleming tried to launch a counter with a throw, but a miscommunication meant her intended player was unaware, allowing Ashley Carse to steal the ball and then lobbed the keeper with a clever finish.

Hamilton had a chance to equalise, and it summed up their attacking play. Amy Allen split the Hearts’ defence with her pass, but it was just overhit allowing the keeper Ashley Watson to claim the ball ahead of MT McGuiness.

And it was still Hearts who looked more likely to score. One touch passing opened up the Accies’ defence and Mcalonie was only denied by a wonder save from Fleming who tipped the ball over.

Just after the hour mark, Hamilton had their first shot on target from a 25-yard free-kick which Amie McGill drilled past the wall, but it was an easy save for Watson.

But in the 69th minute, Hearts doubled their advantage. Carse cut off the wing and curled the ball over Fleming, picking ut the top-right corner.

Accies had a half-chance when Lori Gardner’s ball picked out McGuiness at the far post whose shot was saved by Warson. The Hamilton forward was injured in the chance but was able to continue.

However, Hearts made it 3-0. Gemma Mason’s corner was flicked back across goal towards Kara Kidd who scored with a simple finish.

The home side could have scored their fourth late on whn Jamie-Lee Smith broke into the box, but her shot was well saved.

Leave a Reply