You are here
Home > 2016 > Ten Star City Reach The Semi-Finals

Ten Star City Reach The Semi-Finals

city 10-0 girls

The SWP League Cup holders Glasgow City booked their place in the Semi-Finals with an emphatic win over SWPL 2 side Glasgow Girls. The visitors nearly took a shock lead when they hit the crossbar, but from the moment Clare Shine scored in the third minute, it was pretty much all one-way traffic. City’s captain Leanne Ross doubled their lead with a calm finish, before Sarah Crilly’s volley made it 3-0. Ross scored her second from a penalty spot and just before half-time, Erin Cuthbert scored their fifth.

It took until the hour mark for City to get their sixth from Brogan Hay’s effort from the edge of the box before Ross scored another penalty to secure her hat-trick. Late on, Julie Fleeting scored twice with a Hayley Lauder curled strike sandwiched in between.

The win sees City progress to the Semi-Finals which will be played at Ainslie Park.

Photo: Tommy Hughes Julie Fleeting scores against Glasgow Girls
Photo: Tommy Hughes
Julie Fleeting scores against Glasgow Girls

First Half

Glasgow Girls nearly took an extraordinary lead in the 2nd minute. From a 40-yard free kick, Sam McManus tried her luck and her effort caught out City keeper Erin Clachers, but smashed off the crossbar.

City went up the other end and took the lead. After Clare Shine won the corner, it was the Irish striker who eventually bundled the ball over the line after the away side failed to deal with Leanne Ross’ delivery.

They soon doubled their lead, aided by good refereeing. Fiona Brown had been fouled by Emma Malavin, but the ref played advantage which allowed Brown to pick out the unmarked Ross, and the City captain placed the ball in the bottom-right corner.

It could have been worse for Glasgow Girls moments later. Malavin’s miskick played Brown into the box, but her powerful shot was stopped by Glasgow Girls’ keeper Lauren Grant.

The home side kept on coming. Ross’ corner picked out Savannah McCarthy but the Irish international headed just wide of the near post. Some stunning skill from Erin Cuthbert on the edge of the box played Brown into the box, but she was denied the chance of shooting by Chloe Docherty’s last-gasp challenge.

When City scored their third, it was all about Erin Cuthbert. She picked up the ball in the middle of the park, and she clearly indicated to Fiona Brown where she wanted her to run. Cuthbert dissected the defence with a wonderful diagonal through-ball to Brown, and her cross picked out Sarah Crilly whose first-time volley gave Grant no chance of saving.

Minutes later it was 4-0. Crilly was brought down in the box, and Leanne Ross placed the ball on the spot and sent the keeper the wrong way.

There was a sniff of a chance for Glasgow Girls in the closing stages of the first half. City’s keeper Erin Clachers’ clearance hit Lauren McMurchie and rebounded back into the box. Lauren Evans tried to chase down the ball, but couldn’t take advantage.

And in the 43rd minute, City made it five. Carelessness from Glasgow Girls around their box gifted possession to Crilly, and although her shot was well saved by Grant, the ball fell to Cuthbert who made no mistake.

But just before the half-time whistle, Glasgow Girls could have pulled a goal back. Lauren Coleman’s ball sent Nicola Hardie through, but she got her attempted lob all wrong and watched in frustration as it went wide.

Half-Time: Glasgow City 5-0 Glasgow Girls

Second Half

Glasgow City started the second half strongly, but perhaps the triple change of their front line at half-time led to a disjointed attacking performance. But, they did create chances with Hayley Lauder having a shot saved at the near post, Cuthbert seeing her long-range effort brilliantly saved and both Nicola Docherty and Julie Fleeting missing good opportunities.

But on the hour-mark, they made it 6-0 when from the edge of the box, Brogan Hay picked out the bottom corner, despite Grant’s best efforts.

Three minutes later, they further extended their lead. Leanne Ross’ early cross hit Chloe Docherty’s hand, and the referee awarded a penalty. This time, the keeper dived the right way, but Ross’ precision gave her no chance as the City captain completed her hat-trick.

City’s attacking movement was improving and both Fleeting and Carla Boyce came close, but each time their efforts were saved by Grant.

And soon, they made it 8-0 when once again, Glasgow Girls gifted City possession. Fleeting took the ball past the keeper, collected herself before blasting the ball into the net – despite Georgie McTear’s valiant attempts to block on the line.

It took three minutes for City to get their ninth when, on the edge of the box, Lauder’s exquisite curled chip found the roof of the net.

And then it was ten. Brilliant perseverance from Brogan Hay saw her chase down, and then steal possession from Jennifer Tutton. Hay picked out Fleeting in the box, and although her first shot was blocked, the striker made no mistake with her second.

City could have extended their lead further in the closing moments. Once again, Hay picked out a player in the box, but this time, Lauder shot wide. And Fleeting could have scored a hat-trick when Lauder picked her out, but somehow the striker headed wide.


city girls linuep


city girls stats

Leave a Reply